That I am not sure about. Even where I worked in NJ, there were
differences in the counties I worked. For example, one county they
were sheriff's officers, but more like 'specials' - even had to wear
uniforms similar to other sheriff's officers to work. In the other
county, they were NOT sheriff's officers and actually wore 'civies' to
work. I am not sure what legal authority.

Also, in each of these counties, some municipalities handled 911 calls
directly (in which case the 'dispatcher' was rarely an officer) - it
really was/is screwed up.

I don't want to speculate how things are in that town/city, was merely
saying that not all 911 operators work directly for police departments
nor are they required to be law enforcement officers.

Either way, someone of authority told him to stop. He didn't.