I think what Jerry is saying is that Chicago is Obama's home town and
Rahm is now mayor. It would hurt the admin's liberal narrative,
especially populist message of reelecting Obama to reduce the growing
wealth disparity, if cops in Chicago were busting heads during Occupy
protests. Hence, the accusation that MSNBC (and probably others) is
taking a glossy soft coverage stance in their coverage and running a
narrative of restraint on the side of the authorities which may not
actually match up with the reality on the ground.

I don't know if I agree, but I believe that is the point he was trying to make.

Judah