I do not know whether you were being sarcastic or starting to wear a
tinfoil hat. Seriously Tim that story has been debunked so long ago
that its really in the black helicopter type of conspiracy. The
Japanese IJN were planning the attack for at least a year and a half,
probably longer. They sent several planning groups to look at the
damage that the British raid on Taranto did to the Italian fleet. The
US Navy could not have obliged them more. They dismissed radar
reports. There were even some warnings a week ahead of the raid. The
command (Kimmel et al., ) dismissed the possibility of an air raid,
and thought the most likely attack was from local Japanese Americans.
So to prevent sabotage, the aircraft were aligned up nicely down the
middle of the tarmac. Unfortunately it made the aircraft very
vulnerable to air attack. In the harbour same thing. Battleship row
was great for ground security, and even more vulnerable than the
Regina Marina in Taranto.

So I really don't think it was  a Churchillian and Roosevelt
conspiracy. The Japanese had almost the best navy at that point. If it
were not for Midway and breaking the IJN codes they would have won the
Pacific Theatre.