On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM, Jerry Barnes <critic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The referendum got destroyed by around a 2 to 1 margin.  It wasn't
> close. I wouldn't have known about it except that I was in Atlanta on the
> day of the vote.  The day before the vote, pundits were saying it would
> be extremely close.

Yeah, in Atlanta the people in the burbs want more roads and the people in
the city want transit. The suburbs outnumber the city folks by 2 to 1. :)

> Seems like a lot of people are pissed in GA.

Yeah - the freeways are parking lots, and the DOT can't get their head out
of their ass.

> I heard some people
> complaining about the HOV lane be co-opted into a pay scheme.  I saw
> these new pay lanes on the way out of town.  What was the deal with that?

Yeah - they have these new pay lanes running out to some of the northern
burbs. Kinda a boondoggle when you consider how much real transit or other
stuff that could have paid for. We already had HOV lanes, they reconfigured
them to pay lanes - it wasn't cheap.

By defeating the referendum, Atlantans unfortunately voted to give up
control over projects and allow more bullshit like the pay lanes happen
like they have for years.

-Cameron