"The Georgia Chamber of Commerce had 8 million dollars to play with for those
ads. Not sure A) where that money originated from or B) if there was more."

Makes sense.

"Lots of corporate HQs are in Atlanta. They all have huge productivity losses
as a result of traffic problems and lack of access to transit. "

You have to take the good with the bad.  If you choose to be
head quartered in Atlanta, you know what you are getting.

"This particularly impacts companies who employ low wage earners, who may
not even own a car. I am not 100% who funded the ads, but my guess
would be that
these companies did."

Probably.

"This is a case where the market forces are driving companies to push
for something
that is socially good. Libertarianism, Free Markets, all that - I see that
at work here."

Good luck with that.  I can see a lot of voters saying "Use your own money
since you are a multibillion dollar industry."

"The root issue is that the tax base in the city of Atlanta is relatively low
compared to the burbs, where people live."

I could tell.  I went to Peach Tree City.  Very nice.  I can't see the
citizens caring about the transportation woes of Atlanta.  There are more
cart paths to build (very cool by the way).

"That's gradually changing as more and more people (and wealth) are moving
back intown, but it's a long slow process."

I saw a lot of town homes and condos being built.  Must be whats making it
possible to get people back into the city.  If I faced a commute through
some of those roads, I would consider such a move.  Hell, some of the
people can probably afford a home in the burbs and a condo.

"There's a lack of 'we're all in this together' here and it's very much an
'us vs them' mentality."

That's not just Atlanta.

-

Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.
- Henry Kissinger

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel,
go out and buy some more tunnel. - John Quinton