The Protestant Reformation was one of the bloody times in history,
especially in Britain.  One of the main reasons we don't have religious war
in the US is the First Amendment prohibition against the establishment of a
state religion and allowing the citizens free exercise of their religious
rights and the reason that is in the Constitution is that the men who wrote
it were very aware of the damage religious wars can do.

  I am often vocal, perhaps too vocal, about my opposition to any
combination of church and state, but one of my most deeply held beliefs is
that combining the two would result in exactly the sort of chaos that
currently exists in the Middle East.

But it is beyond absurd to call for "carpet bombing" entire countries
because of the actions of a few.  The domestic terrorists in the US in
recent memory have been Christian.  Should other nations call for carpet
bombing us to prevent the spread of "Christian Terrorism"?

I know the "carpet bombing" line was easy soundbite for you, and it almost
hints at you trolling a bit.  But you're better and smarter than that.