Let's put it this way:

My phone is 503.555.5555

I set up two factor authentication. Google sends me an SMS to
503.555.5555 with the auth code. I put it in, my phone is authorized
and two factor auth is set up.

Now my phone gets wiped by Verizon. Because it is an Android phone, I
need to set up a Google account. I want to log into my Google account.
Because I have two factor authentication set up, a new device needs an
auth code as well as my Google password.

So Google sends the auth code for my new device to my registered
phone, 503.555.5555. Unfortunately, I can't get into my phone to check
messages for 503.555.5555 because that phone number is tied to a
device that is waiting to be set up.

Can't get into the phone, can't get the message, can't get the auth
code that would allow you to set up the phone to get the message.

Judah