I would say the republican party is out of touch.  They relied on getting
the white evangelical male vote to carry them and didn't count on the
non-evangelical/non-affiliated vote being so high.  They also really
discounted the female vote on female health and other feminine issues.
They have always really discounted the importance of minority issues.  One
commentator made a comment that the only conservatives that have ever
seemed to come close to getting it with minorities have been the candidates
that were governors of Texas.  The rest have pawned them off as lazy or
stupid.