That's because most of it doesn't kick in until next year. I pay for
my own health insurance, and the cost is more than ugly (pre-existing
condition). I am hoping I can reduce my costs once the health care
exchanges come into effect. But until then almost 1000 a month goes to
cover our heath care.

But that said, the provisions that are now into effect are benefiting
people (coverage up to age 26, no rejection based on preexisting
conditions for instance). You may want to check
http://www.healthcare.gov/law/timeline/ for what is in effect now.