Sam <sammyc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's more like they can't find a job so someone has to pay for them.
> I'd rather have the out working. But that's me, evil white guy.

I we should want everybody to be productive - that's been America's
secret for 200 years: we innovate and we employ (the assembly line,
the computer, et al).  And anytime you have resources that aren't
productive you're not operating efficiently.  Like Adam Smith said,
every good capitalist knows that a waste of resources impoverishes us
all.

The government's role is, IMO, to create equal opportunity for all so
that we can get all resources productive.  We can best do that with
infrastructure like roads, airports, rail, etc.  But physically
getting workers ready is not enough they also need education,
healthcare, and retirement security.  (There's also regulation like
FAA, FDA, FCC, etc)

If the US wants to compete with Europe, Asia, and others (who have
federal infrastructure) we're going to have to invest in ALL of our
infrastructure and we have to decide if we want our country to compete
or each state.  Our education, medicaid, etc is all state-run which
means it's really the state providing some of the infrastructure for
their workers to compete globally.

IMO, we can't win that way.  We need federal infrastructure so our
country can compete globally; if we don't do that the decline will
continue.