I think this is my third year since I cut out DirecTV.  I have a mythTV
server with 4 frontends throughout my house.  4Tb of raid storage that
keeps both tv recordings and a slew of home videos.  1 Roku, 1 Wii that
plays Netflix & 1 netflix subscription.  We don't lack for content and the
stuff we do watch now seems to be better than some of the crap we used to
watch "just because it was on".

I think I pay around $20/month for my netflix & $15 a year to get the TV
listings for mythTV.  Down from $90/month for DirectTV and I can do
whatever I like with my recordings now // I have a few shows that I
transcode to m4v and the supply as an rss feed to my iPad for watching on
the go.