NCLB only caused teachers to teach for aptitude testing...it's why most
teachers did not want it when Bush was pushing it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Sorge [mailto:sor...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 11:33 AM
To: cf-community
Subject: Re: FWL Tennessee May Starve Children Until Their Grades Improve

Well a lack of a HS diploma didn't stop me from finding work in the late
'90's and early to mid 2000's. I guess things have really changed in the
last four or five years since I went back to the Army. The only thing that
held me back from moving up in the corporate world was a lack of a degree,
which I am working on now, so when I retire from the Army I have a chance at
moving up the corporate ladder, if I decide to move back to a cube farm,
which I really don't.

Anyway, based on what you say, that should propel parents to motivate their
children even more, don't you agree? If I knew that my little Johnny was not
even qualified to dig a ditch because he did not graduate HS, I would be
inclined to work harder to ensure that he gets a good education. Of curse
this also depends on the school. I know that there are schools out there
that really don't care much about their students. You would think that the
NCLB initiative would have fixed this but sadly no. And i know that there
are also schools that merely "teach to the test". In other words, teach the
kids just enough to pass whatever state exam system there is. Texas has the
TAAS I think. California has one too but I cannot recall what it is. So I
guess in addition to fixing the mentality of some parents, we also need to
figure out how to fix the schools.