look at the chart for various forms of homicide since 1961 in Canada:
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2012001/article/11738/c-g/E-11738-c-g-03.gif
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/85-002-x/2012001/article/11738/c-g/desc/desc03-eng.htm:

when I run it through SPSS, the homicide rate for knives since 1961
did not covary with firearms by a significant amount (p > .05).