> Seriously what will it take?

Simple... a constitutional amendment.  There are too many very vocal,
law abiding citizens carrying firearms who would rather die defending
that right than give up their guns for one to be passed any time in
the near future.  I know a LOT of people who would stake the claim
that any attempt to repeal the 2nd amendment is a move by government
to control the population and take away their freedom, will leave them
defenseless against criminals/terrorists/boogeyman/etc and would not
give up their guns without a fight (likely involving said guns).

I get the argument and the stats that show gun control reduces
gun-related homicides.  I don't dispute it.  I also wouldn't dispute
that outlawing cars would reduce car-related deaths.  There are far
more car-related deaths than there are gun-related deaths but I don't
see anyone clamoring to outlaw driving (I could see that argument
coming 40-50 years from now when self-driving cars with a near-perfect
safety record are the norm rather than the exception).  Having said
that, I do agree with tighter controls on the types of guns that are
permitted and their distribution (background checks, waiting periods,
stricter laws on the proper storage of firearms and ammunition, etc.).

-Justin