"My guess is that as a percentage among gun owners, it's a lot higher among
men than women."

I'd guess that it depends on the demographics of the women.  That single
women are more likely to be strapping than married women who are more
likely to be strapping than married women with children.

"I could be wrong, but the 'gun to defend myself' argument falls pretty
flat in practice in my experience. "

In your experience, but two others on the list have given accounts to the
contrary.  I know personally of another that ended in someone actually
shooting and killing someone who was armed and intended to do bodily harm
to another.

Just because you own a gun for self defense doesn't mean that you will need
it.  However, it does mean that if you are armed, you have a chance to use
it.

Remember this:

Media blackout: Oregon mall shooter was stopped by an armed citizen (
http://www.examiner.com/article/media-blackout-oregon-mall-shooter-was-stopped-by-an-armed-citizen
 )

While reports of Tuesday's shooting at the Clackamas Town Center Mall in
Oregon, dominated the national media, until Friday's horrific shooting at
Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut, one very important detail has
been repeatedly (and intentionally) left out of the MSM's coverage.

The shooter, Jacob Tyler Roberts, was confronted with an armed citizen, at
which time he ran away and shot himself. By the time police arrived on the
scene, Roberts was already dead.

-

Ninety percent of politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation.
- Henry Kissinger

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel,
go out and buy some more tunnel. - John Quinton