> But if we take away food stamp debit cards, only the criminals
> will have food stamp debit cards.

I'm not saying we should take them away, just pointing out that there
is still fraud and abuse even after they moved to a debit-card system.
 Public assistance and welfare is not an easy problem to solve.  No
matter what system we come up with, those who are lazy or have
convinced themselves or been convinced that they cannot or should not
work (for whatever reason) will find ways to use and abuse that system
so that they can remain in their state of helplessness and blame
anyone but themselves for their situation.  Many others will step up
and use those resources to better themselves and become
self-sufficient.  Unfortunately there will always be leeches though,
no matter what society does to try and help them.

-Justin