In the short term it would be cheaper. I think it would be more expensive
in the long run.

There is plenty to dislike about modern geopolitical theater. The UN has
plenty of problems. So does the changing face/mission of NATO. The World
Bank, IMF, and WTO have can and should be roundly criticized at every go.

But you know what? Two world wars in the first half of the 20th century.
That "settled down" to bloody regional conflicts between Cold War alliances
(Korean War and Vietnam) in the early 2nd half of the 20th century. The
last 20 years, there hasn't been a major states vs states war. We have a
major set of issues with largely non-state based operators, to be sure. But
those collaborative multi-national institutions, however flawed (and they
are very flawed), have done the job. We have largely done away with large
wars between nations and nothing is on the immediate horizon.

We have problems internationally. And it very well may be that the
institutions set up after WWII are not the right ones to deal with the
problems we now face. I don't know. But I do know that our involvement in
those institutions has been a major boon to the world at large and to our
nation. The fact that we didn't have WWIII on schedule is something to
ponder.

Cheers,
Judah