Perhaps you were deployed when the law was brought about and didn't read
the news at the time, but no, there was no "shoving down our throats".
There was massive amounts of compromise, all of it heading to the right. It
started with a previously endorsed Republican plan, then had several rounds
of major debate and compromise. All the "progressive" amendments, like the
so-called Public Option, were defeated. The only parts of the bill that
were not subject to extensive debate and were entered at the end were all
offered by Republicans.

It's a hell of an accomplishment that they got anything related to
healthcare reform passed, but they pulled in pretty much the bare minimum
to do it. Thus is the nature of compromise.

But, of course, many rounds of debate and compromise over the course of
months were not sufficient for some segments and they challenged it in
court (which is their legal right of course). The Supreme Court, as you
know, declared that Congress did do their job and actually passed a bill
legally and that the President signed which makes it, you know, a law.

In most people's minds, that would be pretty much it. If you don't like a
law, of course, you know what to do. Try and pass a new law to amend the
existing law and make it better. Opponents of the law (who curiously
include now a great many who were involved in the original compromises and
passage) don't seem to have a good set of ideas on how to do that, so they
have become monomaniacally focused on a more petty goal: pretend it isn't
really the law and just not pay for it. To my mind, that is unworthy.

Cheers,
Judah