As you've already concluded by others' posts ... I also say tell the truth.

I have no children, likely will never, but there is one thing I have
learned from watching everyone else with children, either pre-18 or
post-18, and that is those that protected them from the truth, had a much
harder time dealing with reality.  And I'm not talking about Santa Claus
and the Easter Bunny here. Hell I still want to believe in Santa. :)

But I mean life and death situations. Give them the tools now to be able to
deal with it in the future.

This is also true of money and finances. So many people want to protect
their children from the harsh realities of bills, that they grow up with no
respect for the fact that it actually takes a lot to earn that dollar.

I'm sorry about the loss of your family pet. I've gone through 2 myself
these past 12 months. It's so hard. :(
Everyday is a ticking time bomb for our oldest dog ...

Good luck and hugs!
-E