It is also a violation of VA Regs.
http://www.justanswer.com/military-law/27e7x-us-veteran-100-service-connected-disability-and.html

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
Thanks

OK, did some research this morning. I could not find any authority that states
you will loose eligibility. I did find that if you are incarcerated, you will
loose eligibility for the period of incarceration only...so you would regain
eligibility on release. This suggests that the drug test alone will not be
enough.

Now, if you are questioned by the VA about this, you may want to consider your
words carefully and consider talking to a local attorney prior to admitting to
any illegal drug use. It may be that any admissions you give to the VA could be
used against you. There are rules that can protect your conversations with
doctors...but these are a bit complex and its better to err on the side of
caution, rather than to give a statement that could be used to prosecute you.

And, PRIOR to taking any action that would take away your benefits, the VA is
required to give you notice and the opportunity to be heard on the matter. So
if that happens, I would seek legal counsel.

Hope that helps

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to
answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit
for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by
your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following:
(1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not
consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek
to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4)
you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal
counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to
practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use
our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of
Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are
irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client
privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that
any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for
 ny services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine
admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with
these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 4 years ago.
The VA can not incarcerate you. To be incarcerated you would need to be charged
with a crime and taken to trial and convicted.

However, if you admit to the VA your use of illegal drugs, they could report
this to law enforcement. For example, in AZ its a criminal offense to use many
illegal drugs.

Here is the code in AZ for illegal use of marijuana.

13-3405. Possession, use, production, sale or transportation of marijuana;
classification

A. A person shall not knowingly:

1. Possess or use marijuana.

2. Possess marijuana for sale.

3. Produce marijuana.

4. Transport for sale, import into this state or offer to transport for sale or
import into this state, sell, transfer or offer to sell or transfer marijuana.

B. A person who violates:

1. Subsection A, paragraph 1 of this section involving an amount of marijuana
not possessed for sale having a weight of less than two pounds is guilty of a
class 6 felony.

There are similar laws for other illegal drugs.

So, its a good idea to not admit to use, or at least discuss with a local
attorney prior to admitting to use.