back in '89 at Livermore Labs they were working on 2
different methods for controlled fusion - toroidal
magnetic confinement of plasma, and a laser method.

The toroidal method I think was favored by MIT. It
allowed a superhot plasma which could maintain
continuous fusion reaction to be held within a magnetic
field. It "fell out of favor" whether for political or
physics reasons.

The laser method involved firing huge lasers at a pellet
of fuel, which instantly heated enough to undergo
fusion. The key was a powerful enough laser firing
rapidly enough to keep fuel pellets undergoing fusion so
you had a continuous reaction.

Yes, controlled fusion would be wonderful - virtually no
radioactive wastes...

Thanks for reminding me that I haven't heard a thing
about it for a long time. Wonder why? :-(

-Ben