Not exactly. These systems generate one-time tokens for each use, sometimes
that look like a CC number so it will validate checksums, and transmit that
back to the gateway where the actual number (or just the account id at that
point) is stored, that way if you get that one id compromised it does not
compromise any other transactions.

Think of it as generating a unique CC number, tied to your account, for
every transaction.

Judah