>>| From: Larry Lyons [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>>|
>>| I've found a lot of people
>>| here is the US who have been woefully ignorant of anything
>>| outside of their neighbourhood, much less their city, or
>>| even state. OTOH I've met some Canadians who are the same,
>>| but generally there has been a far smaller proportion to
>>| what I've seen down here. Generally there is a larger
>>| amount of isolationism here.

I think this occurrs everywhere and is not limited to just
Americans...which I realize you are saying ... But I'm just wondering if
the numbers are actually comparable everywhere...

I am encountering quite a few English people who do not know what is
going on around them in the world, let alone their own town. I am better
versed in the history of their country at the moment than some of them
are.

We know a group of say 8-10 people here ... Maybe 2 of them are versed
in history and current events ... Philip and myself excluded from this
count. I'm talking about people we hang out with, not developers and
people from the lists. The age group is 18-27.

I've met a few of their parents ... And I wouldn't be too sure they were
better informed than their sons and daughters.
Not to disparage our friends here at all ... I'm just pointing out that
I see it almost everywhere these days.

Now if the subject were UK pop stars and/or *football* ... Well that's a
different story! <grin>

Another thing ... When I was living on the farm in PA ... The son who
ran the farm ... Did not get married until his mid-40's and had never
stepped foot on a plane or travel any further than NY/NJ/PA/DE. And
then, only to another farm. He was not into music, movies or anything
remotely cultural ... And only followed local news.

Definitely many people like this everywhere in the world.

Erika