Bill Wheatley wrote:
> That doesn't make much sense though, I understand the reason he's being
> tried now. But if you goto Amsterdam (I think it is that country :) ) and
> pot is legal and you get high ITS not illegal there. The Us has 0 right to
> do anything to you because you were in a country where it was legal.

I know of several people that came to the Netherlands, did exactly that,
and were arrested, charged and sentenced upon return to their own country.
But that makes sense, because it is actually illegal in the Netherlands.

> FIGHTING us forces is against the US so of course its illegal and punishable

I am looking for the reason behind the "of course".

> but if pedophilia is legal somewhere you go there and you do it fine cause
> its outside of the US jurisdiction and its not doing any harm to anything in
> the US.
>
> But then I could be wrong

The way it works here is dual punishability. If something is punishable
in the country where it is done by a Dutch citizen and it is illegal
here as well, the Dutch Department of Justice will put in a request to
transfer the case to its jurisdiction. It is up to the other country to
honour or deny that request.
But I doubt what Lindh did was illegal under Afghan law at that time.

Jochem