never played nwn
but did used to do allot of d&d & call of cthulhu in my youth.

personally i love the level's 4-7
where your character can do some impressive hat tricks, but isn't flying
around on the back of a silver dragon's waving
a d+300 long sword around by one hand..

think level 12 is where we would retire many characters.
because after that it just seemed to be a quest for who could get the most
toys & have the most land type crap..

the rpg's that always captivated me is when the gm/dm would hand write a
compelling story of his own.
getting 12 minds in the same space for some 8-36 hours at a time.
where the exchange of imagination is more then a predefined, rescue "it" =
get "this"

-paul