OK, now I've got to stop a fight. :)
Fusebox was born to do 3 things:
1. organize code
2. modularize code
3. teach/enforce best practices
The first was done rather well. We gave structure to apps that were usually just
thrown into one or two directories. Even the app I'm working on is well organized
directory wise.
The second has some issues that I've had problems with since day 1. The use of
local/global files over application.cfm, the plunking of all passed vars into a single
scope, etc. I expect that to change some with componants, but....
The third part is where Fusebox and all of CF has failed for some (many) people. There
are best practices to writing tight code. There are best practices to writing clean
code. There are even best practices to writing code that doesn't make you look like a
first week coder. These are where people just lie down and die. We have lots of docs
written by myself and many others that explain topics to minute levels. Hal puts out
Fusebox papers all the time. Why is this not helping people? Because they're to lazy
to read the papers. They're to lazy to read the lists till they have a question.
We have a little over 1800 people on the CF-Talk list. Why? We should have many more.
Is it the volume? No. 250 posts a day can easily be deleted and the new archives makes
reading threads easy. Is it the OT content? Nope. 95% of the OT content is here rather
than there. Is it because people just don't know about the list? Could be. But I
really think its because people just don't want to look for new information. They're
quite willing to accept an answer when they have a question, but something new? nah.
So I come to end a fight about fusebox and instead insult the mass of programmers out
there who just don't give a damn. I'm on a roll here. :)