Oy, it sucked. Basically, he was a sickly kid named James Hewlet. His parents got him
a playmate with red hair named rose. Mr. Logan was the grounds keeper and looked
almost exactly like the wolverine of today. He had a son called dog who everyone
though was wolvie in the first issue or so (and may turn out to be sabertooth, but I
doubt it). Things happen, wolvies parents are killed, he pops claws and guts logan and
goes catatonic. Rose takes him to canada as they've been thrown out by wolvies
grandfather. She says his name is logan to a request of who he is.
He lives and grows stronger (healing factor kicking in) there but his memory is shot.
It turns out that they're writing it that his healing factor erases traumatic memories
over time so he forgets things like his early life, etc.
Rose falls for another man, dog hunts for them, they fight, wolvie remembers his past,
accidentally kills rose, runs off.
He has no memory of her, his name, early life, etc. All he knows is that he likes red
heads. :)
In a nutshell.