I used to sell those imports @ www.buyrite.net , and I can tell you,
RPG's are like sports games are in the US. Thousands of Japanese are
willing to pay out the wazoo for all those little extras. Here in the
US, there is a market, but sales wouldn't justify the costs. Kinda
like Studio for Linux ;)
Most of the import crowd either chips their console or just buys a jap
system, so they can play the japanese stuff and buy from their
favorite import house. Some of these special edition packages cost a
lot though. A lot of them are one time limited edition runs, and the
distributors are technically not allowed to ship them overseas,
because the Sony's, and Nintendo's want to be able to sell the game
twice to different markets. A lot of times we actually had to get
someone to go to all the games stores in Tokyo looking for stuff
and shipping in over here.
Europe is a whole other deal...I wish they wouldn't have gone with PAL
just to be a little different. It may be slightly better than NTSC, but
Eurpoeans end up paying more, and getting stuff later.

--
 Jon
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]