In California,

you register you watercraft ($20 a year),
pay property tax if living in OC ($72 a year),
have insurance ($300 a year),
buy gas (at $2 a gallon last year and with jet skis getting 2 miles to the
gallon...),
and I think you have to be a licensed driver. If so, it is not enforced.

Gets to be an expensive hobby...