Erika L. Walker-Arnold wrote:
> My friend Scott (who has a house on Lake Sacandaga, NY) had to take his
> test before he could register and insure his boat.
> I would assume marinas on the lake would want a license?
>
> I'm sure boating laws are different everywhere ... I was just shocked
> that with the way insurance is these days, that companies would let
> whole families loose on a boating holiday, without ever having driven a
> boat before.

I think boating laws are actually quite the same everywhere. You are
required to have whatever license you need in the country where the boat
is registered. So I can just go from here to anywhere I want with the
license I currently have (which is a good thing, otherwise I would need
to get a Belgium and French license as well). But when I am somewhere
and I want to steer a boat that is registered locally I might need to
get some local license.

Additionally, in the EU boating laws are supposed to be standardised by
now. You need a license for anything over 15 meters or that can go
faster as 20 kph. I learned this a few years ago and things probably
have changed now, but not much.

Jochem