The City of Washington (aka the District of Columbia) is not what it's
planners intended it to be.

I found a very educational piece online at
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108620.html, which steps through the
governmental history of the District.

What is interesting to note is the Per capita personal income (PMSA)
1999: $38,403... this is only for residents of D.C.  I'm willing to
guess that every single person that holds office inside the Beltway
resides in either Maryland or Virginia.

Hatton