: Remember the book is from 1969. Using some biowarfare thingy or flying
: up in a space shuttle to drill a hole for a nuke was a bit too far
: stretched in those days. The only alternative would have been to have
: the world be consumed.

Not necessarily.  See below.

: > Jurassic Park ends with the revelation that the dinosaurs will
: > die off on their own without viatmin supplements.
:
: It was a protein and it was not at the end. At the end it became clear
: that by adapting their diet they actually could survive. (Unless that
: was added by the translator.)

I'll take your word for it.  I've seen the movie and read the book and it
all gets mixed up together.

: > Sphere is a similar
: > copout.  In Congo, IIRC (it's been a while since I read it, and
: the awful
: > movie has contaminated me) they just run off (except the ape, who "goes
: > home").
:
: Isn't that what usually happens in real life too?
:
:
: > If the rest of the book is so great, why does the last chapter
: always suck?
:
: Why do the good guys always have to win because they are smarter or
: stronger then their adversaries? Why can't they just be lucky. I think
: that is what happens in real life more often anyway.

Why can't the good guys lose?  Why couldn't the world be consumed?  Why
couldn't the people in Sphere have destroyed themselves in a very human
panic instead of some bizzare rational solution which, while I'll admit was
slightly clever, failed to satisfy me?

: Somehow I have a preference for those SF movies that show that with all
: our technology we are still just infants at the mercy of nature,
: meddling with forces we don't understand and certainly don't control.
: And with all our arrogance, we are just here because we have been lucky
: in the past. "Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and
: Love the Bomb" is another one of those movies. Or "2001" (and "2010" as
: well) or the original version of "Planet of the Apes".

I love Dr. Strangelove.  I like the book version of 2001, but the movie
didn't appeal to my tastes.  I've only seen about half of the orig Planet of
the Apes, and never bothered to see the new one (I will once I've seen the
first).  I don't mind movies where the hero wins by being
better/stronger/faster or where the hero wins because of karma (term used
loosely) or where the hero and enemy are closely matched and luck turns the
battle.  What bugs me about those plotlines from Crichton is that the
protagonist(s) are overwhelmingly overmatched and then, suddenly, everything
is okay.  It just doesn't mesh for me.

Ah, well.  We can't have everything, can we?  I mean, if we could, they
would have only made the even-numbered Star Trek movies, but that's another
thread......