> If I were being led to believe that I
> am guilty of "mans" sins by a priest or preacher who has simply
determined
> his/her own set of sins, I would leave!!! And it would be quick.

While absolutely no expert on the matter (personally I'm agnostic), I
believe the principle is roughly that humanity is imperfect and cannot
possibly be without sin i.e. lead a perfect life in every way.
Something explained to me by both Catholic priest and Baptist preacher
friends of mine.

It's hard to fault that supposition, regardless of the more spiritual
aspects of various religions, it just makes common sense, no one can be
perfect (as defined say by the Ten Commandments).

How the different denominations suggest dealing with it is another
matter!

Personally, I just take a more humanistic approach, sure everyone
entertains some darker thoughts every now and again and as long as you
avoid some of the nastier commandments you don't need to self-flagellate
daily.

Reminds me of that flick Keeping the Faith where Ben Stiller's rabbi
character says to his priest buddy, "I'm a Jew, we don't do the guilt
thing."