Please take the rant below in a spirit not of attack, but of reflection and
contemplation, and not as a put-down of anyone's personal commemoration of
the events or September 11th:

I had a very quiet September 11th. I spent most of my time at home, did some
work around the house, took the kids to the doctor, etc. I didn't want to go
to any memorials or do anything specific to commemorate the day. That's
partly because I have had a year of mourning for my father, and I do not
want to mourn right now. It's also because all the Sept. 11th hoopla on the
news was turning me off.

Case in point: Last night, Michael and I were watching the news and all you
could get last night was Sept. 11th coverage, replaying the day over and
over again, eyewitness accounts, minute by minute coverage, analysis -- why
do they think we must relive the event over and over again? Wasn't living
through it the first time enough?

All of the memorials and the coverage seemed "showy", as if I were watching
an Oscar show. The tag lines on the news really got to me. It just didn't
seem to fit the spirit of somberness and rememberance that should have been
there. Even the big flame that President Bush lit reminded me too much of
the big flame at the Olympic games.

I compared it in my mind to Israel. Israel has "Yom Hazikaron", Remembrance
Day, where they remember all the soldiers and civilians who have fallen in
the wars there. Here's how they do it: It's a regular day, although a more
somber one. People go to work. They just don't go out to the movies, to
concerts, to discos, to eat -- they have a quieter day. There might be
private observances across the country, in synagogues, communities, etc.,
but that varies community by community.

Countrywide, at a certain time, they blow a siren and observe a moment of
silence. Everything stops as people reflect on the meaning of the day. This
siren goes for 2 or 3 minutes. It really makes an impact. It's amazing
seeing all of these cars driving on the road stop, and people getting out
and standing at attention while the siren is going. It gives you a sense of
solidarity with those who have made the ultimate sacrifice.

Maybe it's because in Israel, you will not find a single person who has not
lost someone, or who does not know at least one person who gave their lives
for their country, or for being a Jew. Here it's not that personal. Memorial
day has become for most a barbecue holiday. I think what happened a year ago
created more of that feeling of personal attachment in New York, but I don't
think Americans really know how to commemorate that. I don't want to see
September 11th become a barbecue holiday, and I don't think it's healthy for
us to relive the events of that day, moment by moment, every year. We should
have something in between, something that serves to remember those who were
lost while letting us get on with our lives and keep living.

Judith