I guess Congress is keen to kick everyone off the analog bandwidth so
they can auction it ASAP.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin Graeme [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 2:14 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: US Government might make you buy a new TV in 2006

This is interesting because it's almost a reversal of recent FCC moves.

Rough order of events:
- Congress mandates DTV by 2003. Analog will be cut off in 2006.
- Companies complain. Digital TV's ludicrously expensive.
- Congress mandates DTV broadcasts by 2006. Some stations analog cut off
if the market is 80% digital.
- Companies drag their feet. Digital TV's still significantly more than
Analog, but being bought by lots of people. Not enough sets sold by 2002
to satisfy Congress.
- Congress mandates all TVs under 14" to be sold with digital tuners by
2004, but admits that the 2006 goal was overly ambitious for analog
cutoff. *Major turning point.*
- Companies complain that it will raise costs. Companies complain about
recording digital signal.
- Congress now wants to mandate Encryption standard for DTV to force
meeting the first 2006 deadline.

Whatever.

Kevin Graeme