Well that's the pitch. However, I can tell you from slightly inside the
industry that this isn't a completely altruistic move by Congress for the
benefit of more efficient use of the airwaves.

Broadcasters will get exactly the same amount of spectrum as they had with
analog, so there goes the reduction of EM airspace arguement. Stations will
be able to do more with it digitally, but the FCC is putting pretty tight
restrictions on reselling the excess. In addition, local stations are being
told by their Network overlords that the Network also has plans for the
spectrum. So basically, stations paid for their analog space and now if they
want to be digital they have to pay for a digital license and even though
they can send more over the same spectrum they are being told they can't.
The government makes money by selling these licenses. Not so altruistic, eh?

I work peripherally with our Public TV station here to help develop new uses
for sending data over their digital broadcast signal. It's not as bad as I
make it out to be, but right now it's more of a political game than a
technical one.

Kevin Graeme