At 09:17 AM 10/4/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>According to Jewish law, one may not destroy the name of God. This has been
>taken to a logical step of not destroying paper on which a divine name is
>written. Judith uses the - so that the name God is not fully formed and will
>not be destroyed. It's a throwback to her writing.
>Two issues:
>1. the word God is not a divine name. I could write and burn it all I want
>and not be violating the stricture about destroying the name of God.
>2. The stricture deals with writing, etc. Computers are exempt from any and
>all laws concerning physical writing (as opposed to content) because they do
>not actually write. There is no material added to an object (ink) or
>material removed from an object (carving). It's just images on a screen
>which itself are being created and destroyed every millisecond.

Interesting (that is, how this is applied to modern technology). Basically
as long as it's energy and not matter that is used to form the words then
it is not subject to the law? If one goes by that then I believe then
magnetic storage devices such as hard drives would also be excluded.
Perhaps... yes, I suppose that even applies to some of the passive LCD
technologies and plasma screens.

--min