Retired U.S. Army officer Ralph Peters wrote an article in the Wall Street
Journal over two months ago, on July 27, that appears to be just as
appropriate today. Excerpts:
"Why are Palestinian terrorists allowed to target civilians without
exciting an international outcry, while every accidental civilian death
inflicted by Israel is a crime against humanity? Europe's reflexive
anti-Semitism doesn't really matter much, since today's Europeans lack the
power, will and courage to act upon their bigotry. But the Bush
administration needs to stop pandering to corrupt Arab regimes and to
recognize that Israel is fighting for its life; that Israel is fighting
with great restraint; and that Israel's pursuit of terrorists is every bit
as legitimate as our own. Instead of criticizing Israeli policy, we should
be studying it...
"When terrorists attempt to hide amid the civilian population, we must
pursue them without hesitation. They cannot be allowed a single safe haven.
If they use their neighbors as shields, it is the terrorists who are to
blame should civilians die. If they attempt to use their families as cover,
they will be responsible for the deaths of their own loved ones. The world
must learn that, when civilians allow terrorists to use them, the civilians
become legitimate military targets...
"[C]ritics will tell you that by killing civilians in their attacks, the
Israelis--or the Americans--simply turn other civilians against them. This
is nonsense. Civilians who shield the enemies of Israel or the U.S. are
already anti-Israel or anti-American. But if our strikes against the
masters of terror come to seem inevitable, those same civilians will turn
against terrorists who try to use them as living shields--as villagers in
Afghanistan already have done.
"Terrorists and their supporters must learn that they will be allowed no
hiding places. Not in their homes, not in churches or mosques, and not in
foreign countries to which they might flee. This is a war that must be
fought without compromise. It is, above all, a contest of wills. Every
apology is a surrender."