It happened to me years go, almost the same situation. I  got laid off just
before Christmas. I figure that it was deliberate - they were complete
assholes. I've noticed that the decent ones will bend over backwards to
avoid doing something like that, while the ones who are thorough jerks will
drool at the chance to screw people over like that.

larry