Exactly. It's a matter of choosing something that fits your time schedule
and the amount of involvement you want. Something like camping for instance,
I can't see somebody doing every night, so that may not fulfill your need to
constantly fiddle with something.

Pets on the other hand, dogs come to mind, can change your lifestyle in a
dramatic (usually unforeseen) way. No more weekend ski jaunts to Colorado if
you can't find someone to take the dog for a crap. This is why I chose
fishies - I actually like being involved in knowing what's in the water and
why it's being affected the way it is. Having cool fish and plants is just
the perk, not the actual hobby. It's involving if I want it to be, but I
have room to let it chill for a week without attention. I'll just drop some
vacation feeders in there to keep the fish held over. I've got the lights on
a timer, so I don't need to be around for that.

One thing I'd like to get into when I'm older and have more time is natural
water remediation. Collect water from the roof, running it through a series
of natural filters (peat moss, carbon, etc), creating pure water. Laugh if
you will, but you'll be the first at my door when them damm terrorists get
to our water supply that we take for granted ;)

If I didn't rent an apartment and actually owned some land, I would build a
greenhouse to grow my own food in. I might even sell some of the excess
organic produce to some of the yuppie restaurants around here - they freak
on that crap. That would be a valuable hobby to teach your children. Raising
children to take the grocery store for granted, like I was, probably isn't
the best idea.

There I go thinking high-level again :( sorry to sound like a nut, I'm
really not, hehe.

Adam.