I was writing a whole long piece to defend my position and Jim just gave me the
winning argument on a silver platter. And the magic word is:
SPAYED!

Any argument about cat modification must deal with that. I'm so bummed out. I
had this nice, neat little argument designed to lead Judith down the path to
slaughter (argumentatively that is) and it's all for naught. :(

> Some would debate that putting earrings on babies is cruel as well. We gave
our daughter her earrings at 6 years old -- she wanted them at that age.
Fillings are a necessary evil, and braces are also necessary at times. Hair cuts
and eyeglasses are not in the same category as they don't constitute a permanent
change.

> There are three issues here:
>
> 1. Does it hurt?
> 2. Is it permanent?
> 3. Is there a reason for it?
>
> If 1 and 2 apply, there had better be a darn good reason for it, whether
you're doing it on a person or an animal. As in sickness and health. As in life
or death. For braces, sometimes, beauty can be a reason, but I don't see braces
in the same category as piercings. Not when it comes to animals or children.

> Again, adults are a different category -- the same rules do not necessary
apply when an adult makes a decision for him- or herself.

> I don't care if you think I'm making it easy for you, Michael -- These are my
arguments. Have at them. It's fun to fight with you from eight feet away.