> A mass shoot out? We don't get have mass shoot outs, we usually have
> stand offs, the people are in the house and cops surround the place
> until they come out with their hands up.

Ok, so I exagerate slightly and that happens over here too (there's been an
incident recently in, unsurprisingly, London where this happenned), but the
point is, worst case senario,

Suspect breaks free, grabs hidden gun shoots at police officers, other
police officers start shooting, other suspects get free in all the
confusion, other weapons appear and blood gets spilt on all sides, winding
up with dead and injured police officers and more than likely dead terrorist
suspects and probably the loss of the leads to prevent terrorist attacks....

In this case one man died, several others were injured and the suspects are
all alive and in custody.  This _was_ the worst case senario.

> We don't have mass shootouts everyday, only in extreme cases has that
> happened, and I am not aware of any in the past 5 years. More often than
> not these things happen very peacefully, and nobody hears about them.

I can't remember a time that a police officer died in this kind of
situation over here ever.

> To me, and many people in the US, the lives of police officers are much
> more valuable than those who attempt to kill police officers, if one of
> the officers had pulled a gun and shot the attacker, he would have been
> congratulated for saving the life of an innocent man.

But then you've lost a very valuable lead which probably could prevent a
terrorist attack...