I was wondering what my international relations expert brother's opinion on the war in
Iraq was.  HE is the editro for the journal for one of the big jewish organizations in
israel.  The following surprised me, because my brother is a pacifist.  I have no idea
how much he had to write and how much is his true feelings, but I still thought it was
interesting, and I know he wouldn't print anything he thought was a lie.  The
Australian Parliment members he quotes echo some of the anti-war sentiment I have seen
voiced elsewhere.  I particularly felt enlightened by reading the part about oil - he
is right - if we wanted iraq's oil we could just lift sanction.s

http://www.aijac.org.au/review/2003/283/parl-iraq-283.html

Cheap shots
Muddled facts in the parliamentary debate on Iraq

By Tzvi Fleischer

In the early days of February, the Federal Parliament of Australia saw several days of
intense debate about potential Australian involvement in a war in Iraq, and in that
context, the role of the United Nations, Australia’s relationship with the US, and the
nature of Australia’s national interest. Most of the debate was serious, reasoned and
intelligent, if heated and vociferous, as is understandable given the important issues
of war and peace at stake. But as in our last report on this subject in October, some
of our political leaders made statements which were factually incorrect or betrayed
basic misunderstandings of international law, were irresponsible or seemed to display
an inability to make basic moral distinctions. And one or two made claims that were
just plain bizarre.

Here’s our run-down of a few of the claims being made:

Myth: Lots of state besides Iraq are violating UN Security Council resolutions,
especially Israel

Arch Bevis (ALP): "However, if failure to comply with UN resolutions is the test for
war, there are a few other candidates… Israel is in defiance of a 1967 resolution,
resolution 242, which required the withdrawal of its armed forces from the territories
it occupied following the 1967 war."

Sid Sidebottom (ALP): "Why should the UN’s credibility be determined solely by Iraq’s
failure to comply with Security Council resolutions when many countries, including
Greece, Cyprus, Indonesia and in particular Israel, have ignored Security Council
resolutions for years."

Sen. Meg Lees (Ind.): "As far as Israel is concerned, it also has a long list of UN
resolutions that it has not abided by. In fact, I think it takes the prize as the
country which has ignored the most UN resolutions–there have been some 32."

Anthony Albanese (ALP), Joel Fitzgibbon (ALP), Anna Burke (ALP) Frank Mossfield (ALP)
also made or implied similar points.

We dealt with this in detail last October. It is simply a matter of law that the
resolutions on Iraq are different because they are taken under Chapter VII of the UN
Charter, concerning "Threats to the Peace". Such resolutions are binding and
enforceable by sanctions or force, and require unilateral compliance. Almost all the
other resolutions usually cited, including those on Israel, are under Chapter VI,
"Pacific Settlement of Disputes", which are advisory, cannot legally be forcibly
enforced under the Charter, and virtually always recommend reciprocal action by both
sides of the conflict. Moreover, it simply is not true that Israel is violating UN
Security Council resolutions, especially the most oft-cited, 242, because these
resolutions do not mean what they are often claimed to mean. There is no resolution
requiring Israel to unilaterally pull its forces back to the 1967 borders or "end the
occupation of Palestinian land." I could go on, but let me instead cite one of t
he best and most thoughtful parliamentary debaters, a former Labor leader:

Kim Beazley: an informed contribution
Kim Beazley (ALP): "If the United Nations announces under chapter 7 that it intends to
do something about a matter and it is not done, that will undermine the authority of
the United Nations; that will render it ineffective. There are many other resolutions
under other chapters. Resolution 242 gets a bit of a guernsey here every now and then.
Resolution 242 is under chapter 6, not chapter 7. It does not carry the same mandate
and authority that chapter 7 carries. Chapter 6 is the United Nations trying to put up
resolutions which might help the process of peace and it states matters of principle
that are important for the world to take into consideration. Resolution 242 says that
Israel should withdraw from territories that it has occupied. It also says that Israel
should withdraw to secure and recognised boundaries and that the one is dependent upon
the other. Resolution 242 says that, but it is not a chapter 7 resolution."

Myth: The US is really motivated by a desire to steal Iraq’s oil

Sen. Bob Brown (Greens): "This is an oil war. This is the United States recognising
that as the economic empire of the age it needs oil to maintain its pre-eminence… This
is a war deliberated upon by the oil barons in the United States, who largely financed
the Bush campaign, who have enormous connections and inter office placements with the
White House staff and who are aware that a key to the future prosperity of the economy
of the United States–five per cent of the world’s people–depends on who controls that
65 per cent of the world’s oil resource."

Senator Kate Lundy (ALP): "This war is about oil and domination more than disarmament.
There is no humanitarian motivation in military intervention into Iraq, only a concern
for the bank balances of the West."

John Murphy (ALP): "Like many of my constituents I called upon America to tell the
truth to the world, that the attack we were being called upon to participate in was
really about the need for America to more reliably control oil."

Others making or implying support for this claim include Jill Hall (ALP), Frank
Mossfield (ALP), Sharon Grierson (ALP) Peter Andren (Ind.), Sen. Lynn Allison (Dem.),
Sen. George Campbell (ALP), Sen. Kerry Nettle (Greens).

Sorry, but as several of the debaters, including Prime Minister Howard, Teresa
Gambaro, Kelvin Thompson, and Steven Ciobo pointed out, this conspiracy theory makes
no sense. The main evidence given for this theory seems to consist of the facts that
US President Bush has connections with oil men, and Iraq has oil. But the US does not
actually need Iraqi oil, could buy all the Iraqi oil it wants simply by agreeing to
lift sanctions, or could have seized Middle East oil fields, if that is what it wanted
to do, in 1991. Also, the US oil industry is mostly sceptical and cautious about a war
in Iraq because it might effect supply, and anyway does not want massive new supplies
which would lower prices. And let’s not forget that slogans about "war for oil" were
also flung about by the anti-war fringe even with respect to Bosnia and Afghanistan,
which have no oil. There may be many good reasons to oppose war in Iraq, but if your
reason is that there’s really a secret US plan to grab
Iraqi oil, you simply are out of touch with reality, and should not be surprised if
people treat you as such.

Myth: War will lead to the death of 100,000s of Iraqi civilians and the US will carpet
bomb Iraqi cities, killing mostly children

Carmen Lawrence (ALP): "Every time a bomb hits, on average we can expect half of the
victims to be children."

Tania Plibersek (ALP): "Who can tell why – oil, ego, stupidity, electoral advantage? I
cannot get past the point that 250,000 civilian lives may be lost in this conflict."

Sen. Andrew Bartlett (Dem.): "President Bush said, ‘We are here to liberate you from
the dictator Hussein.’ But every reported action likely in terms of the military
action that would occur would involve the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi
civilians."

While a concern for the potential deaths among Iraqis, especially civilians, is a
highly appropriate part of this debate, claims about 100,000s of civilians deaths are
simply scaremongering and cannot be sustained by any realistic scenario of war. The US
did not carpet bomb Iraqi cities in 1991, it did not carpet bomb cities in Bosnia or
Afghanistan. There no reason to think it will do so in a new Iraq war. The best
estimates are that between 1000 and 5000 Iraqi civilians died from military action in
the 1991 Gulf War — this number may be somewhat higher or lower this time around, but
in fact, the Iraqi military is weaker and the bombs likely to be used are more
accurate, so lower would be a better bet than higher. The fact that anti-war advocacy
groups and aid groups trying to get as much humanitarian aid available as possible
have put out fanciful worst case scenarios does not excuse treating these
unsustainable claims as gospel.

Just Wrong or Plain Bizarre

Sen. Lynn Allison (Dem): "Yesterday, the Prime Minister was defensive about Israel,
talking about the courageous efforts of Ehud Barak, whose generous offer to give the
Palestinians the ‘bulk of their demands’ was ‘repudiated’ by Yasser Arafat. Like so
much of what the Prime Minister is saying, this is untrue. Barak offered to negotiate
only a small percentage of the Palestinian territory that Israel occupies, in spite of
United Nations resolutions."

Even Palestinian participants at Camp David agree that Barak offered more than 90% of
the West Bank and Gaza at Camp David and even more later, but criticise that as
inadequate for a variety of reasons. Sen. Allison is just wrong, unless she is
counting all of Israel as "Palestinian territory that Israel occupies", as some
extremists do.

Julia Irwin (ALP): "When an El Al cargo plane crashed in the Netherlands during a
flight from New York to Israel, its cargo included four principal agents used in the
manufacture of VX nerve gas."

Actually, it wasn’t "four principal agents" of the superdeadly VX, it was DPPT, a key
ingredient of much less—sophisticated Sarin, but a chemical also with a number of
other uses. And Israel explained that the chemical was part of its defensive chemical
weapons research, intended to test the effectiveness of gas masks and other filters in
case of chemical attack. This is completely legal under the Chemical Weapons
Convention, of which Israel is a signatory.

Peter Andren (Ind.): "Australians want to know whether regime change in Iraq is simply
about putting in place another regime sympathetic to American, British and other
interests in the Middle East – that means oil interests and pro-Israeli interests."

Pro-Israeli interests? What Israel would most like is an Iraq which ceases to pay
Palestinian suicide bombers, and export other terrorists, and also ceases to target
Israel and other neighbours with weapons of mass destruction. But then, so would
almost all the other governments in the Middle East. Why would this be a bad thing,
and why is it only about Israel?

Jill Hall (ALP): "Any student of history knows that there is never a winner in war.
Wars are usually fought to promote the agenda of a powerful and aggressive nation. We
had World War II. Everyone knows what Hitler’s agenda was, what the devastation was
and what the result of that was. It can be argued that same war is still being
continued in the Middle East, in Israel and Palestine. We had the Korean War and the
US intervention in that country. We heard President Bush’s recent comments about the
‘axis of evil’. Korea is still in there, so there is another issue that still has not
been resolved."

Is Ms. Hall seriously suggesting it was wrong to fight Hitler during World War II? And
I don’t know what point she is trying to make about Israel and Palestine. And would it
really have been better to have allowed North Korea to overrun the South, given what
we know about that regime today?

Senator George Campbell: illogical theories
Sen. George Campbell (ALP): "There is the suspicion that unilateral US military action
against Iraq would be motivated by the desire to control Iraq’s vast oil resources.
This suspicion is reinforced by the extraordinarily close links between oil companies
and the Bush administration. I do not know if everyone in this chamber saw the 60
Minutes report a couple of months before Christmas, in which it was clearly
demonstrated that there were convoys of oil trucks 100 miles long heading out of the
north of Iraq through Kurdistan, which was charging them a toll fee to pass through
the country, into Turkey and out into the Western world. No-one can tell me the US
administration was not aware of that occurring. But what were they doing? They had a
couple of ships stationed at the other end of Iraq to prevent the oil coming out by
sea into the Persian Gulf. What a joke! They did not take action to enforce the
sanctions. They knew the oil was coming out, but that was more important
than the issue of preventing the loss of lives and preventing further destruction of
people within that country."

Let me get this straight. Senator Campbell’s theory is that the US is deliberately
allowing Saddam to illegally export oil in defiance of the sanctions so they can get
their hands on that oil? Don’t you think if they really wanted the oil that badly they
would just lift the sanctions?