I think you're going to really need to run a firewall. If a machine on the
local network is able to be compromised like you describe, then they are
open for some reason. Whether that's for easy file sharing or what, it
doesn't really matter. Which firewall to use is the question.

Quick question for you: how are the static IP's configured? Are they being
manually typed in to the settings on each machine, or are they granted based
on MAC? If you are just given a block of numbers and get to handle
assignment yourself then you are in a much, much better position.

-Kevin