[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Which book did you read?  A lot of the ASP.NET books out there stink.

This one:

http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471120901.html

>>>I do think that using ASP.net on the backend might be useful, but
>>>

>>I'm still
>>

>>>convinced that Flash remoting would be a better interface for the
>>>

>>GUI.
>>

>Flash remoting is not a GUI.

Okay, but I think you know what I mean....if not, create a gui with
Flash and connect it to a backend via Flash remoting.

>The
>

>>>methods that ASP.net uses to simulate a fat client just seem to
>>>

>>be so much
>>

>>>kludge, it seems that its bound to make inefficient interfaces.
>>>

>Again, being judicious in the use of web controls is the key.

Problem is, Microsoft doesn't always promote judicious uses.  They
usually include plenty of wizards and  try to dumb down the interface so
that Joe Blow can create an application.

>>>Another thing that caught my attention was when the author said
>>>

>>"using the
>>

>>>.net
>>>framework allows the programmer to access the entire machine".
>>>

>>Is this
>>

>>>something that we really want given Microsofts security issues in
>>>

>>the past.
>>

>>>Will this open up more machines to successful hacking attempts?
>>>

>>I'm not
>>

>>>enough
>>>of a systems programmer to know this, it just perked up my ears
>>>

>>when I read it
>>

>>>though.
>>>

>Server machine... server machine...

Yes, exactly, the server machine....but you make it sound like that
isn't that big of a deal.  IIS has enough holes already.  What happens
when you open up the **server** even more?

dependable ColdFusion Hosting.
http://www.cfhosting.com