>  I agree with you about the amount of post-back code relied on
> for
> interaction; I hate it.  It goes against my theories on good
> coding
> practices.

Curious:  What are those theories?

>  I would assume that when the author said that using .NET (or
> ASP.NET
> specifically) allows the programmer access to the entire machine
> he meant
> the server, not the client.  But, I don't have enough experience
> to say yes
> or no either way.

He means the server machine.

>  I have heard from one person having serious problems in
> production
> environments because of web forms; and quite a few people who have
> had no
> noticable performance degradation.

As with most things, one must be judicious in the use of a feature.

> >  I really don't understand how <asp:label runat="server"
> text="hello"> is any
> >better or easier that <span>hello</span> .

Although the label tag is fairly useless, it is nice to be able to change the text in
the label on the server side.

> >I'm amazed at how much post-back was relied on for interaction,
> especially
> >when
> >you consider that keeping viewstate increases page sizes
> immensely when
> >using so
> >databound controls.

If need be, you can store viewstate in places other than the page itself.  Also,

Which book did you read?  A lot of the ASP.NET books out there stink.

> >I do think that using ASP.net on the backend might be useful, but
> I'm still
> >convinced that Flash remoting would be a better interface for the
> GUI.

Flash remoting is not a GUI.

The
> >methods that ASP.net uses to simulate a fat client just seem to
> be so much
> >kludge, it seems that its bound to make inefficient interfaces.

Again, being judicious in the use of web controls is the key.

> >Another thing that caught my attention was when the author said
> "using the
> >.net
> >framework allows the programmer to access the entire machine".
> Is this
> >something that we really want given Microsofts security issues in
> the past.
> >Will this open up more machines to successful hacking attempts?
> I'm not
> >enough
> >of a systems programmer to know this, it just perked up my ears
> when I read it
> >though.

Server machine... server machine...