"Pitch Black" was great, IMHO.  I also REALLY liked "Below" (by the same
director) but it's been panned in some areas... but I'm a sucker for a
good ghost story.

But Pitch Black was just so well done.  David Twohy (the director) has a
really nice sense of environment and pacing.  His later films tend to
fall pretty squarely into distinct "acts" with each act having a
specific visual style (coloring, lighting, shot angles, etc).

None of his movies could be considered "classics" (and some of his early
movies are just plain stinkers) but his later work has really evolved
and his movies tend to do exactly what they set out to do: and what more
could you really want?

As an aside Twohy and Diesel are working on a sequel to Pitch Black
tentatively titled "The Chronicles of Riddick".

As another aside the BEST Vin Diesel movie, hands down, was "The Iron
Giant" - one of the best movies ever.  I still get choked up when he
smiles and says "Superman".  Yeah, I'm a wuss (and a Superman fan).

Jim Davis