I think the most unforgivable aspect of the movie is the contempt with
which it treats its audience.  There's nothing wrong with a simple plots
or characters - films like "Babe" or "The Straight Story" are wonderful,
with rich stories crafted around what are essentially one-sentence
synopses.

"Gump", however, by trying to recreate itself as some sort of touchstone
for all of recent history (as opposed to Groom's novel, which was
genuinely funny - sort of like an alternate-universe "World According to
Garp"), comes across as a sort of emperor with no clothes.  Its epic
feel and length beg for serious consideration, but the reactionary,
stupid and moralistic steamrolling of what are truly dynamic and complex
social events into digestible bits of nostalgic confections is infuriating.

The movie's message isn't "Dumb is Good", it's "You're too stupid to
figure this out on your own, so we'll make it easy for you."

What's even stranger is the principles behind the movie - Tom Hanks,
Robert Zemeckis, Gary Sinise - are extraordinarily talented, yet managed
to not only make this movie with a straight face, but convince the AMPAS
that it was somehow more deserving of the Best Picture Oscar than either
"Pulp Fiction" or "Shawshank Redemption", which is just amazing.

- Jim