We finally got power back yesterday, which made me VERY happy. Montgomery County got hit badly re trees and power, but no flooding here and no water problems. The biggest problem I am having is driving around. NO ONE around here seems to understand that when a traffic light is out, that it is treated as a 4 way stop. I've almost been in about 3 accidents from drivers who are just blithely running through the traffic intersections with no lights (of course they must have the right of way). Its even worse at night when its hard to even see if there is a traffic light there. I'm not driving at night until all power is restored. I think drivers in the DC Metro area have to be some of the worst. -----Original Message----- From: Jim Campbell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 11:32 AM To: CF-Community Subject: Re: Everybody make it through okay? My friend in DC has power, although the person from whom he's piggybacking 801.11b access hasn't brought their computer back online yet... I really feel for those Ego Alley regulars. Those Hummer H2's aren't meant to get *dirty*, much less wet or anything. - Jim Haggerty, Mike wrote: >With the federal govt. shut down at the end of last week, this is my >first chance to get back into email. > >Did everyone make it through okay? > >We lost power at my apartment on Thursday and it is still not on. >Neither is the phone service (so much for underground lines). My uncle >owns some land down in St. Mary's county and lost everything - the house >on the property, the car they had parked there, the road leading up to >the place, tools, guns, antiques, etc. > >I took refuge from the storm at my Dad's house just outside Annapolis. >The water levels in Annapolis rose above the parking meters on Main >Street and it was awful to see. > >(Main Street in Annapolis, incidentally, is the home to 'Ego Alley', >where white trash millionaires go to park their oversized yachts and >drink $6 budweisers. The price of everything on main street is >outrageous - and for that reason is wasn't too terrible seeing >overpriced clothing, kick knacks and crab replicas floating out into the >bay.) > >I also spent some time in Baltimore, where streets were cordoned off >because of the water is so dirty you could get sick wading in it. I was >able to canoe down to the inner harbor where everything was underwater. >There had been some looting, apparently, as evidenced by the number of >fresh empties floating around the doors of bars. > >In other news, I went to Staples to buy flashlights and came across a >great deal on a photo printer. HP Photosmart 4x6 printer, refurbished, >$49 bucks. $49 is about the cost of the toner cartridge and the premium >glossy paper the printer comes with - good deal. > >The thing is about the size of a small toaster and is available on >Staples Web site at this price as well. I bought one and was surprised >both at the quality of the photos and the fact that getting it running >under Linux took about 1 minute. > >M > > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|