>  You are saying is that a degree would constitute a designation?
> I can
> respect that.  I suspect over time the industry will force such a
> thing on
> itself as employers stop hiring people w/o CS degrees.

Some designations could be bestowed after a degree is granted - or at least the privilege of being able to call themselves a certain term - "Programmer" or "Systems Analyst", for instance.

Other designations could be given after a certain period of time working at a specific work task, "Senior Programmer", for instance.

Even people with C/S degrees could only attain a specific level with their degrees - perhaps tests would be written for other designations.

Bottom line: Companies need a way to be able to differentiate potential employees/contractors with an honest, baseline measure - and often times, not even a degree is enough - I've seen some horrible CS grads that should never go near a computer.  Designations would go a long way for this.